Diastasis Recti and Restoration of Abdominal strength post pregnancy
During pregnancy your outer layer of abdominals separate to allow for your baby to grow. Normally this returns gradually after birth but if you have had a particularly forward bump the separation can be greater than normal and therefore needs help to improve.
At JYphysiotherapy we specialise in helping women with a programme to strengthen their abdominals and gradually aim to reduce the diastasis width. Please see our video on how to assess your diastasis (if you are unsure please come for an assessment or see your health visitor).
There are many different ideas regarding the diastasis DO's and DON'ts and it can become worrying for women to know what they need to do. It is important not to overly worry. The main concepts we follow are the following:
- We can work with Diastasis that are not full separation. These may need a surgical opinion.
- We work with little and regular exercises which can fit in with you and your baby.
- We check that you are maintaining the exercises and progressing.
- There is some evidence of using supports which we advocate.
- New evidence has tested using crunches with good success which is also something we consider as we progress with the research.
- Our main principle is not to dome whilst exercising (please see video)
For more information on the conditions we treat and services we offer, or to book an appointment please call 0208 0909330 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Back Pain and Sciatic pain
- Ante and post natal Back pain
- Hip pain
- Tendon pain
- The Young Sports person
- Sports Injury
- Knee pain
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
ReviewLet us know what you think and leave a review
Testimonial"I have had many issues with my back over the years and Jehan has been the only physio to not only correctly diagnose and treat successfully, but also to devise an effective plan to deliver long standing results.
Her knowledge of the complexities of vertebrae are second to none! I would highly recommend her."
How to find us
JY Physiotherapy, 304 Ewell Road, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 7AQ [Map]
JY Physiotherapy, The Canbury Medical Health Centre, 1 Elm Road, Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, KT2 6HR [Map]